Thursday, July 06, 2006

Compromises Part Two

Ok, the other compromise is nowhere near as dramatic. I'm a bit of a tech geek. I have 5 computers in my home, 4 DVRs, and a bunch of other tekkie-toys. Recently, my "server" computer needed some attention. It was running Windows XP Professional (pirated). I do a lot of Remote Desktop stuff with it. These are my primary uses:

  1. Unified Email: Using Mozilla Thunderbird, this system accesses my multiple and compartmentalized IMAP email servers. I use this system because I like to be able to access it, the exact same way from anywhere, anytime.
  2. File Sharing: Yes Yes, it is illegal, but I like to collect "warez." It helps a lot to have a system that I don't use all the time, but is online all the time. This is especially true of the IRC where I get the majority of my stuff.
  3. Palm Server: It makes sense to me that I can access my Palm desktop via Bluetooth, anytime, without "starting up" my system and waiting for it to boot. It's almost always booted. Trust me, I use this one a LOT.
  4. File Server: I keep lots of backup stuff on an external HDD attached to this system, which give me access ANYTIME.
Of course I do other things with it too, but these are the biggies.

The problem is that my pirated copy of XP leaves me in a lurch for security updates. It also is threatening to shut me off if I don't activate it in the next 30 days. (DAMN YOU BILL!!!!!)

So, fine, I don't want to pay for an extra copy of XP, and Microsoft doesn't want me to use it for free. FINE! I'm going to try Linux...AGAIN! (So, Microsoft also doesn't make any bank in royalties and licensing for my 3rd party apps either. HA!) This time it is going to be Xubuntu (a "lightweight" version of Ubuntu Linux). As long as I can do my remote desktop connections, run my email, manage my Palm (via Bluetooth), and serve my files, I should be ok....and it's free and legal.

I'll post more on that project later.

No comments: