Monday, July 10, 2006

Again with this....

CRAP! ;)

Allright, I've managed to get my file-sharing to work with Windows. It was a big pain in the butt, and took a long time. Folks say that Samba is easy and simple, folks lie! I had to do a LOT of research and run through a LOT of trial and error to get it working. I ended up combining tips and info from FIVE (yes, 5) DIFFERENT sources to make it work. Let me stress that..COMBINED...eg, no one site had everything I needed to make it work here. This is exactly why the masses aren't ready for Linux, or is it that Linux isn't ready for the masses? I dunno.

The major point here is... 2 DOWN!! (I didn't write about it, but I get the Remote Desktop stuff working this weekend. I used FreeNX as available through Ubuntu Package Releases by Seveas, and an OLD NOMACHINE v1.3 client on my windows machine that I found via some odd posting somewhere on the net, hosed in RUSSIA!).

Ok, so the next major tasks are PALM SYNCING (and doing it via Bluetooth), and P2P file sharing. We shall soon see!

No comments: