Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Sick and Twisted

Well, the ugly face of winter has finally decided to frown on Michigan. I'm not talking about the cold or the snow, those are facts of Michigan living. I'm talking about the gray, gloomy, cloudy, non-sunshiney days without end that we face here.

I can handle the cold. I can handle the snow. I can handle everyone forgetting how to drive, it's the serious lack of sunshine that gets me. I'm not the only one. Seasonal Affective Disorder (temporary increase in depression related to prolonged, reduced sunlight exposure) hits millions of us. Weeks without direct sunlight wreak havoc on our neurotransmitter activity. We get "down" or "blue" either automatically, or very easily. Yuck!

To top it off, it seems that I also tend to have immune problems that come with it as well. It seems that every year, in January, I get either a really bad cold, bronchitis or both. I have the cold now. I don't know if this is related to the sunlight as well, or if it is just coincidence, but I'll tell ya, it blows! (like my nose, EWWW!)

Speaking of things blowing...there has been a lot of talk in the past week or two about Presidential candidates. MY GOD!! Are we there again ALREADY? So far, I've heard the most about Senator Barack Obama and Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton announcing their possible White House bids. (Paco would toss his tacos if he saw this, but...) From what I've heard, I like them both. Granted, I don't know the full details about their political careers (I will be looking into those, however) but they both seem to be unique, strong, eager, energetic, clever, minority-mobilizing candidates. I suppose the next year will tell. Whatever the outcome, it will be REFRESHING to, FOR ONCE, actually have a CHOICE in candidates, rather than vote for the same guy with a different name. I WANT politicians who shake things up. I WANT politicians who aren't going to play "middle of the road" games (voters are MOTR, not the candidates). I WANT politicians who actually have views and opinions on things. I WANT LEADERS who will state their opinions rather than hide behind "exploratory committees" or "classified information." I WANT to KNOW where I stand with a candidate. Our last two presidential elections felt devoid of choice to me. This one already feels like choosing 1 scoop from Baskin Robbins' 31 tempting flavors.

Female President? You bet. Mixed-Race President? Sure, why not?! Republican President? Dear LORD not AGAIN!

"I feel like I've been wearing the same little, red dress forever!"

--Iton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I moved out of Oregon because of the days on end rain and gloomy weather. Nothing like Michigan, however. I about cum in my pants this morning when my plane broke through the clouds and the sun was shining bright. Yeah, sunshine. There's something to be said about living in the desert.

Pistolotto