Friday, January 05, 2007

CompCare or CrapCare?

If you work in the Mental Health Services field, you know what a pain in the rear it is to get authorizations for treatment from Managed Care Providers / Health Plan Management Companies. Filling out an OTR / CDF form can REALLY suck. I've had to do them for Value Options, HAP, UMH, and now CompCare.

First, let me give credit where it is due: The CompCare form is blessedly short (1 page compared to HAP's 3-page, redundant & overblown form). However, I'm really rather ticked that they even USE a form like this. I mean, it takes time to fill one of these out, regardless of whether or not you know it has to be done. Additionally, CompCare pays the LEAST amount for services out of ALL the managed Care Companies that we deal with, LESS than HALF of the highest payer. Add to that the fact that most MH providers work on a contract basis (we get a percentage of what is collected for services, usually between 40%-55% depending on the contract where we work), and we're dealing with a situation where I might make $33 (Pre-Tax) on one of these sessions. ALSO, I have to call in every 5 sessions or so, fill out and send in this form, leave a voicemail for a "representative" to call me back, AND they ONLY return calls for 3 hours in the morning. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?

ALL these hoops they make us jump through, while paying less and less (relatively speaking) every year for the same MENTAL HEALTH services. I'll tell ya, I only have my CompCare clients because their insurance switched midway through their treatment. I WON'T be taking any more clients who use CompCare. I'm sorry, it just isn't worth the hassle for the pittance they pay.

I'll talk crap about HAP all day long, their 3 page CDF form is just dumb. They do not provide an electronic form, meaning they really kind of expect us to hand write the whole thing, and there is redundant information requested on it (how this keeps costs down is beyond me). However, they pay reasonably well. Yes, they ask A LOT of us, but they do pay accordingly. I can live with that.

CompCare, you are CrapCare. I hope you go out of business, get the bejeezus sued out of you, AND end up in a "Corporate Accounting Scandal."

"It was a MONUMENTAL, BLOODY, BUGGERY cock-up of GLOBAL proportions!"

No comments: