Thursday, January 18, 2007

Gateway, Get Away!

3 years ago, I helped my step-brother buy a laptop from Gateway. It has never been anything but a pain in his butt. It has been in and out of service so many times that I'm not sure how much of it is original machine.

It just so happens that it was recently damaged in a weird, pet-related accident. It was essentially destroyed. My step-brother wants to make a claim on his insurance to replace the laptop, which his policy covers nicely. The insurance company needs a full, as-purchased, configuration spec-sheet.

I figured that I could get this from Gateway's web page without incident. HO BOY was I wrong. Their site explains that this exact thing is available on the website, yet for the life of me I couldn't find it. I finally had to call. Can I please tell the ENTIRE WORLD that GATEWAY's customer support SUCKS BIG BLUE MONKEY C*CK! It took over 40 minutes on the phone (thank the heavens for Vonage) for the moron on the other end to tell me that this wasn't available on the website. When I read it to him, quoting the lines that specifically say otherwise, HE DIDN'T BELIEVE ME and had to look for himself. Turns out that, in order to get an as-purchased spec sheet for a gateway product, it has to be less than 1 year old (not stated on the webpage, nor at the time of original purchase) to be provided online. Otherwise, they will charge a $15 fee to send it to you.

You can bet I raised HOLY HELL with them. $15.00 for something that I should have received anyway. $15.00 for a 1-2 page printout that would take them about 5 seconds to pull up on THEIR gateway computers (which I bet always work just fine). $15.00 for something that they ADVERTISE as being available on their website. Heck even $1.00 for this would be too much IMHO.

With enough complaining, I finally got them to agree to fax it to me at work, without charge. They told me that it would be there in " a couple of hours." This was 2 days ago and I still don't have the fax.

Need I say anything more? Jerks!!!!

"You know that when Angie Harmon swears, it's serious!"

-Iton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most customer service via telephone blows. If I can go directly to the source, I will and I will stand there until I am satisfied.