Thursday, January 04, 2007

Bluetooth Sweet-Tooth

All right, here's the deal. I've been looking for a GOOD, bluetooth keyboard and mouse set for almost a year now. For the most part, Logitech and Microsoft had the only offerings. I did my research and found that most people who dared to comment weren't happy with the Logitech offerings, and I have no desire for the split-keyboard or mushy key-feel of the Microsoft offerings. Also, there were the issues of PRICES!!! HOLY EXPENSIVE BATMAN!

I finally found a decent offering from Dell (Yes, Dell). The Dell Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle ($89.00 at www.dell.com) got me kind of har...er...excited. I had it listed on my gift list registry for Xmas, but no one took the hint. So, after Christmas, I decided to buy it for myself.

I've been using the set for about 2 days so far. I'm actually pretty pleased. I'm using the set at work, paired to my Fujitsu Lifebook P1510D. Let me tell you that any keyboard and/or mouse is going to get a workout in this setting. The keyboard is substantial, and has a really good feel to it. I think the typing feel is even better than the wired Dell keyboards that I have used in the past (and which I like very much). The mouse feels a little odd, but I think that I'm just adjusting to a full-size mouse from a mini-travel mouse.

The mouse paired to the laptop's built-in bluetooth like a dream, it worked right, the first time, and with no hassle. The keyboard complained a little, but after a few attempts I finally got it working.

When folks talk about bluetooth mice and keyboards, there is always a discussion about LAG time. Yes, both of these products (or 1 product if you consider the set a single product) utilize a "sleep mode" so that your batteries (2 in each, size AA, duracell brand included) don't die prematurely. When you move the mouse at all, it snaps out of sleep mode and jumps right to work. I'd estimate that it takes less than a second. They keyboard take about a second and a half (but will still send your keystrokes when it wakes up...NICE). Once that is passed, you're working along like nothing ever happened. It is a very small annoyance, but one that is acceptable, considering the battery issues.

For the price, feel, usability, features, and even the aesthetic style, I'm a very happy camper. I didn't install the CD that came with the set at all. Yet, somehow, all the special features on the keyboard and mouse work fine. Hmmmmm. Also, I didn't install the USB bluetooth adapter that came with the set. The WHOLE POINT of buying a bluetooth set up was so that I didn't have to plug anything else into the laptop. If I'm plugging and unplugging all the time, USB would be fine.

So, Now I have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse that I wanted. I like how they feel and respond. I'm mostly pleased with the ease of installation. I'm not happy that the PIN for the mouse wasn't listed anywhere in the documentation (at least not that I saw), but I took a wild guess, and the Bluetooth Pairing Pin for the mouse is "0000" just like some other peripherals I've used. The keyboard automatically generates a new one each time you try and pair it.

If you've been looking for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse set, take it from a VERY picky consumer, the Dell offering is a good buy, and I HIGHLY recommend it.

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of Tootsie-Roll Pop? 1...2...3...THREE!"

No comments: